The ex-students of Vivekananda Institution
are going to celebrate its 62nd Re-union.
Please contribute generously
to make it a grand success.
|To impart different kind of education to the youths of the country and Howrah region particular enabling them to develop a versatile personality by exposing their talents, skills, merits to achieve the noble human qualities. As such we try to mentally prepare them to meet successfully all kinds of challenges......|
A Rs. 55 Lacs project to build an auditorium for the school. This is an auditorium which can be used by outsiders too. Donate generously.
Please contact the headmaster Sobhan Bera at 033-2642-0385 or email@example.com
We started our journey with 55 students in 1928. Today our alumni is over hundreds of thousands of students. Many of them became very prominent in their respective fields.
Dr. Bholanath Chakrabortty
A Brief History
Howrah Vivekananda Institution, a glowing name in the annals of education in West Bengal, set out on its journey in 1923 and it is still moving towards the development of young men. The institution named after the famous Hindu monk Swami Vivekananda still keeps up its old heritage in the academic firmament. Thanks to the initiative taken by a group of young men, the Ramkrishna Vivekananda Ashram was set up in 1916. Swami Shivanandaji, the then President of the Belur Math said to these young men , “Service or business is not your cup of tea. Rather set up a School.” Inspired by Shivanandaji, these young workers of the ashram took over “Saraswati Institution”, a primary school, in the locality. The name of the school was changed to “Vivekananda Institution” on 1st February, 1923.
At that time the “Saraswati Institution” had a few benches, one or two chairs, a bell, a rented school room, 55 students and two teachers. After the takeover of the Saraswati Institution on 26th November, 1922, some Volunteers of the Ashram joined the school as honorary teachers. Sri Satishchandra Chakraborty continued as the Headmaster. The name of the “Saraswati Institution” was changed to “ Vivekananda Institution” on February 1st, 1923. That was the beginning. On that very day Indubhushan Chattopadhyay was appointed the Headmaster. The Assistant Teacher were Gourmohan Santra, Mrigendranath Mukhopadhyay (Badal Babu), Satishchandra Chakraborty. Keshablal Chattopadhyay was the founder member, secretary and honorary teacher of the school. The teaching – learning process was carried out at Mullick Para for 3 years (1923 – 1925).